White Cliffs of Dover

Day 1 of my trip to France

Since I had to take the train from Dover, I thought why not go one day early to Dover to visit the cliffs and stay overnight in a hotel to be on time to catch the early train the next day. That way I did not have to leave the house at 4 in the morning, since I live about 4 hours drive from Dover.

I have always wanted to visit the cliffs of Dover which are the most famous symbol of the Chanel port in Kent. They form part of the English coastline facing the Straits of Dover and France. The cliffs face a symbol of home and war but also a stunning view as it’s made up of white chalk.

You can have a peaceful walk looking at the sea, or watch the busy port with their large ships making their way in or from France. On a clear day, you can see France but it was foggy when I was there.

I have a lot of friends’ photos and online ones of the cliffs but being there in person, just like with everything else, is even more exciting.

There is parking spaces on both sides as soon as you get in but if you keep going, it will take you to even more parking spaces, far from the madness near the entrance and less to walk to the cliffs.

I went on a bank holiday Monday and I did not think it would be that busy. I was obviously very wrong. Just like me, everyone travelling from Dover or into Dover were there to see the cliffs especially as it was warm and sunny.

We got a map from the Souvenir/cafe shop and discovered the long trail along the cliffs had 4 different routes.

• Cliff Edge Route

• Viewpoint walk (20 minutes)

• Walking route to lighthouse (50 minutes)
  • Walking route to Fan Bay Shelter (40 minutes ) tickets have to be booked and bought for this one

We did a bit of the Cliff Edge route which joins the viewpoint walk at some point.

The cliff edge route is pretty risky for small children who like to run about. The husband who is scared of heights held on to my daughter. Who held on to who, I wonder. I tried to take some photos while making sure I was aware of where my son was. He is not a small child but he was into climbing the sides to get chalk. I had to keep saying that he can get chalks from the lower sides too.

The Busy Port

More about the Cliffs of Dover

Fifi and Hop
California Globetrotter

29 thoughts on “White Cliffs of Dover

1. Beth April 20, 2018 / 10:57 am

I , too, was drawn to see the cliffs as they are famous, and they do not disappoint. We were there on a clear day (and could see France, which was cool)…luckily as it rained and was overcast the rest of our stay. But you have lovely photos, they are almost like impressionist paintings. And yes, cliff top walks with kids is very stressful for me, I think we stayed on a path that was further away from the edge. I even get a bit nervous when I hike around cliff areas. Nice post, sounds like a perfect way to start a trip to France. #FarawayFiles

• My Trips and Tales April 25, 2018 / 1:26 pm

The only disappointment was that I did not see France, but the consolation was that I was going to be in France the next day. I was not even sure if France could be seen, and now I know as you have seen it. Thank you, the photos are indeed lovely and actually do look like impressionist paintings. I love your blog by the way.

2. Ruth April 20, 2018 / 5:19 pm

I like the idea to add a bit of sightseeing before or after a planned trip. When I visited the UK, we were supposed to stop by the cliffs and walk around. I am not sure what happened but the stop was canceled (the weather or something). So, this is still on my bucket list. By the way, I am going to London soon. Hope the heat wave is still there for that time (love warm weather).

• My Trips and Tales April 25, 2018 / 1:27 pm

No more heat wave, it’s back to being chilly Spring, with sunshine every now and then. When are you coming to London, it should be better weather in about a month or so. Hope you get to see the cliffs next time, esp if you are coming via Dover.

3. Usha April 20, 2018 / 10:14 pm

I have never visited Dover, though I have taken the train to Paris so many times. It’s such a iconic location. Would love to do a walking trail. thank you so much for this post, Happy Travelling. #theweeklypostcard

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 7:52 pm

It is indeed an iconic place and a walking trail is recommended. The views, the sea, the whole atmosphere, make it a nice place to visit.

4. Anisa April 20, 2018 / 10:36 pm

I have not been to the cliffs of Dover yet, but it is on my list. They look spectacular and I would love to do that cliff edge walk. Your photos turned out great. Thanks for sharing on #TheWeeklyPostcard

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 7:53 pm

Thank you. That cliff edge walk is awesome. I hope you go soon.

5. California Globetrotter April 21, 2018 / 6:07 am

I’ve been to Dover Castle once as a child and took the ferry to Dover, but other than that I haven’t seen much! Would be nice to explore the cliffs and surrounding villages! Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard!

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 7:54 pm

I have done the cliffs, but still haven’t been on the ferry yet. I would love to visit the castle too, which I could see from the cliffs but I could not visit due to lack of time.

6. carolyn eddie April 21, 2018 / 10:06 am

What a great idea. WE spend so much of life hurtling from destination to destination, beginning to prefer the stops along the way. Well done!

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 7:57 pm

Definitely. I always try to break my journey and visit something in between. I often do that when I travel to the North of England, break the journey, get some rest and get to visit an extra place.

7. Anna April 21, 2018 / 10:10 pm

I´d love to have a walk there – the Cliff Edge Route looks so wonderful! We have a little daughter though, so we´ll need to wait till she grows up a bit to go all together! Pinned

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 8:00 pm

If you go in the near future, even when your daughter is still young, you can use the path that has barriers, it is wider and very safe. The edge one was a tiny bit risky, I realise that now. I think I used the edge route as I did not know any better till afterwards 😉 Thanks for the pin.

8. Scarlett Begonias April 22, 2018 / 4:59 am

Wow it looks so peaceful, like you were alone out there. What a beautiful day 🙂

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 8:06 pm

It certainly does look like I was alone out there. I do try to take photos and not get too many people in them, unless it is very crowded. It is indeed a very peaceful place and very beautiful. Anything that involves the ocean, I am in.

9. Deborah Regen April 22, 2018 / 7:39 pm

On such a pretty day as you experienced it would be a pleasure to visit this famous place. I can imagine sitting down on the ground perhaps and just take in the scenery and let my mind wander. Would be quite relaxing and enjoyable. Nice photos. #TheWeeklyPostcard

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 8:08 pm

Thank you. It is a relaxing place, somewhere to let the mind wander. I hope you get to visit it.

10. Clare (Suitcases and Sandcastles) April 23, 2018 / 7:51 pm

What beautiful, atmospheric photos you’ve taken of the cliffs! I think it was a very clever idea making more of a trip to Dover than just driving up to the ferry like so many other people. Thanks for sharing on #FarawayFiles

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 8:11 pm

Thank you.
      My next trip will be on the ferry this time, as I have never been, and I think Cliffs of Dover is on the cards again. I loved those scenic views. Yes, it is a great idea to visit as the ferry is right there, such a convenient place, to visit such an iconic place before catching a ferry. 🙂

11. Corey | fifi + hop April 25, 2018 / 3:12 am

I’ve always wanted to see the Cliffs of Dover…they are so gorgeous! And good to know about the path and kids as I would be a bit nervous taking mine on them. Thanks for sharing on #farawayfiles

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 8:13 pm

The path is safe and easy, the kids can wander around. The cliffs are gorgeous. 🙂

12. Rob+Ann @TravelLatte(.net) April 25, 2018 / 6:43 pm

Yet another English Bucket List item for us. The way we’re going, we’re just going to have to move there! It’s too bad you couldn’t see France, but we love your photos! Thanks for sharing on #TheWeeklyPostcard!

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 8:14 pm

Thank you Rob + Ann. Haha, so true, you need to move here to complete that bucket list. Any plan of visiting?

13. Sharon April 26, 2018 / 6:18 pm

Dover is definitely on my list! I’ve been to London twice and hope to go back and include a trip to Dover and the channel area. I’ve seen these white cliffs from a plane — they are so distinctive — and I would love to see them from land too!

• My Trips and Tales April 26, 2018 / 8:18 pm

Wow, I have seen so many photos of the Cliffs from different angles but never from a plane. That must have been so impressive.
      You should definitely see the cliffs in person this time. The ferry and Le Shuttle from Dover are other options of travelling to England. I hope you get to visit one day.

14. hilary April 26, 2018 / 9:18 pm

There’s just something about seeing the White Cliffs of Dover, that has always made me want to visit this part of England, but haven’t made it there yet. Maybe we will make it next time? How cool to see France across the channel, and so much history. #farawayfiles

15. Marcelle April 27, 2018 / 2:32 pm

I like how you show from the visitor’s eye how a visit to Dover is. We’ve seen the white cliffs from the ferry but didn’t visit them. It would be one for the next time!